Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Decorating the Walls

So many ideas!  Ooooh, the possibilities!  I began searching the net, looking for stencils and wall murals... Anything I could find.  I like different.  I don't want what every other Dick and Jane have in their homes.  I've gotta be different ...And if I do something, I like to do it with a BANG!  I happened upon lots of awesome blogs along the way and that got the wheels in my head to turning.
So, here's what I started-off with, after we got the two paint colors up in our living room... One of the sites I found for wall decals was Right on the Walls.  Here's the first inspirational photo that I borrowed from...



And here's the second...


I found a large round wall clock at a local dollar store for $20...

...And decided that I'd save even MORE $$$ by painting my own sign for the clock! (instead of ordering a decal on the web)  This way, I get the exact size I need for the clock I bought.  I had to sortof copy the image from my computer screen, onto paper, then I used a permanent marker to draw the image on the reverse side of the paper, since the 2nd image (above) was backwards for the way I wanted it to appear on MY wall.


I watched a couple of YouTube videos on wall art ~ How-To's for painting your own stencils and murals.  One lady used sidewalk chalk to outline her picture before she began throwing paint on her walls... (how genious, I thought!)  So I borrowed a stick from my daughter and began laying-out my design...

I started-out by holding the clock up against the wall and tracing around it, so that I had a palette (sp?) to work with!  Then I just drew the "sign" from looking at the picture on paper and the chalk made it easy to fix any mistakes.  Once I had the sign the way I wanted it, I went and bought a small can of black paint and small, fine-tip artist brushes.
It was really fun!  I enjoyed doing this myself.  Unfortunately, I started-off with oil-based paint and it ran and made a mess on the wall AND on my hands!  So I went BACK to the hardware store and exchanged it for water-based paint.  Which, BTW, they had to mix!  (long story there but, MAN, what a process that was, just getting close to the black color I needed)  'Close enough, I'll say!  Don't ya think?

Tatum took this picture of me holding the wall clock in place, so I could text it to Jimmy ~ Who was at work at the time...

We FINALLY finished it this Labor Day weekend!  YAY!  I cleaned-up the runny mess that the oil-based paint made and fine-tuned the rest... I LOVE IT!  Do you?!?

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous! Just found your blog and I love both the design you used and the look of your finished project.

    ReplyDelete